Saturday 25 June 2011

Jung was right!

Last night I tried to express an idea to E and it came out like this:

Me: It's like the..thing...they did that time...at...thingmee.

E: Thingmee?!? Whatchutalkinbout?

So here's the thing--she said it in a perfect imitation of Gary Coleman.

Yet I can guarantee that Diff'rent Strokes is not a show that's on our entertainment roster, nor is 'whatchutalkinbout' a go-to response for any of us in this house. So where did that come from?

The only logical thing is for me to reach back to my Grade 12 English class (Mr. Underhill, studying Robertson Davies' Deptford Trilogy) and most likely completely misuse a term--but I must assume that 'whatchutalkinbout' has entered the collective unconscious.

Now let's start overusing 'attention all units, CHiPs will return after these messages' and see if we can get it in there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment