Thursday 2 June 2011

I'm such a wang.

While I'm looking for work, I decided that one way to save some money would be for me to colour my hair at home. No problem, did it for years, back in the days when I did it because it looked cool, not because I actually NEEDED to do it. So a month ago I bought a box, did it myself, and went for a hair cut shortly thereafter. We both agreed that it looked good, and there was no need for me to wear a bag of shame over my head.

So the arctic blond highlights started peeking out again, as they are wont to do, and I bought another box.

First problem--couldn't exactly remember what colour I bought the first time.
"I'm sure it will be fine."

Yesterday I set up a meeting with a recruiter (for today).
"I'd better take care of those roots."

Second problem--as I was rinsing out the colour, I realized that there was still a tube lying unopened on the counter. That's kind of like having a bunch of parts left over after you put your IKEA furniture together.
"I'm sure it will be fine."

Then...I dried it.
"OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD...(continue for 10-15 minutes)..."

It was old Italian lady red in some sections, and exactly the same colour that I started with in other sections.

(Question: Why is it that European ladies go with the 'shade of red that does not exist in nature' option, while their Mangia Cake counterparts go with the completely unnatural blue/purple rinse? I'm sure there's a really good anthropology thesis in there somewhere...)

So I had to go schlepping in to Shopper's Drug Mart, admit defeat to the perfectly put-together model working the beauty counter, and ask her to help me pick out a darker colour for a follicular do-over.

(Many thanks to L for talking me off the ledge with that tip. The voice of experience is always the best one to heed.)

Fun fact: the leftover tube from round one was the protective pre-colour serum that "helps prepare your hair to accept colour evenly." So if any of you have ever questioned whether or not this is an important step in the hair colouring process, let me assure you: It. Is.

I would argue that what is now on my lid would never be considered "medium brown" as the box promised, but at least it's all one colour now. One very dark colour.

And what does the family think?

When I re-emerged from the bathroom, I was greeted with:

K - shocked gasp as she covered her mouth and keeled over in a pretend faint.
S - nothing, she was too busy crying because K landed on her.
E - laughter. The same kind you do when your friend wipes out and you can't help laughing, but you're also trying to say 'are you okay?' in between the hooting...
DH - patient, resigned silence.

So now I have to weigh money saved vs. sanity lost and see which side wins.
AND I have to go see my hair dresser so we can figure out an exit strategy.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment