Friday 16 January 2015

So near and yet so far

Last Friday night, the girls were invited over to their friend's house.

When I told them about the invitation, two of them jumped at the chance. One, however, was looking forward to a night of 'just staying in'. Because apparently she's 40.

I mentioned this was on a FRIDAY NIGHT, yes?

So I suggested, I coaxed, I cajoled...I tried everything in my arsenal to convince her to go.

Sure, I could've played it cool, but let me review: All 3 kids. Out of the house. Friday night.

Finally, she burst out, "What is UP with you? Usually you're like 'that's fine, you don't have to if you don't want to' but tonight you're all 'go, go, GO!'"

There was a pause.

She squinted.

I squinted.

Somewhere, the theme from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly played.

And then...

I blinked.

"No reason," I sighed.

And the three of us curled up on the couch. She, on her tablet. He, watching The Curse of Oak Island (I'm assuming). Me, looking through the flyers.

Somewhere the 'you lose' music from The Price is Right played.

No comments:

Post a Comment