Tuesday 26 July 2011

The child speaks her mind

The other day we had a great evening at our friends' big, beautiful new house. Did I mention it was big?

On the way home, DH was lamenting the size of our house (the last time we went to their house, on the way home he declared that we are 'living in squalor'), and these comforting voices piped up from the back of the van:

E: Pop, our house is big!

S: Yeah, Pop!

K: Eeeeenh...(and then she did the 'comme-ci comme-ca' hand move).


The next day we were going to church, and I had to read, and the girls were asking why I did that.

DH: Because your mother is a much better person than I am girls.

(simultaneously)
E: Pop, that's not true!

K: Yes, that is true, Pop.


Yesterday K and I were shopping in Wal-Mart (yes, yes, booo, I know), and I pointed out all of the back-to-school merchandise on display. She immediately began yelling, to no one in particular:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, WAL-MART? IT'S ONLY JULY!!!

My only comfort is that it appears unlikely that she will ever be coerced into doing stupid teenagery things along with her stupid teenagery friends when the time comes, because clearly she has a mind--and a voice--of her own.

No comments:

Post a Comment