Sunday 8 May 2011

Backfiring

I don't know, I try to impart life lessons onto my kids, but it keeps backfiring.

Like the whole Harry Potter thing.  I read the books last summer.  All of them. In three weeks.  So yes, I was a bit...focussed on them for that time, but not to the detriment of our family life.  I mean, people were still clothed and fed, and I just read while they were watching movies or took the book with me when they played at the park.

Near the end of the odyssey, the girls started asking me what happens in the story and I explained that I didn't want to tell them everything, in case they wanted to read the books someday. At which point S said:

"I don't think I'll want to read those books when I'm older. I'll want to spend time with my family instead."

So. I thought I was modelling how positive and exciting reading can be, but I actually ended up showing them that reading is evil.  Well played.

And now?

On Sundays, after enjoying a lighthearted hour of watching people fall down on AFV, we have been sucked into Extreme Home Makeover.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good cry, and this show always delivers...And when you get past Ty's incessant screaming, the people do seem to be earnest and lovely.

So I'm thinking we're watching a show that will illustrate to the girls how important it is to help people who have suffered misfortunes and fallen on hard times.  The girls' take?

"Mommy, why can't we live in a falling down house so that we can get a home makeover?"

I give up.

1 comment:

  1. OMG I love it. Hopefully C's lovely influence isn't spilling over in to your home too much :)

    ReplyDelete