Thursday 11 October 2012

Apparently he has no idea, either

So the other night I was upstairs in our room reading War and Peace...

I'm kidding, I was reading Entertainment Weekly.

...when I smelled something burning.

DH was in the basement working on his train set. (Ooops, did I just out him as a train geek? Sorry, sweetie!) This often involves soldering or what have you, so I wasn't too concerned.

But then the smell didn't go away.

After about 10 minutes, I finally decided to go downstairs and see what was up.

On the main floor there was definitely a haze in the air.

And when I got to the basement....well, I couldn't have timed it any better. DH was backing out of the room he was working in, carrying a bag of garbage, and I could see that the room was filled with smoke. So as he carefully sneaked out of the room and quietly closed the door, he turned around and saw me standing there.

"What's up?"

"Nothing. Nothing.  Just....a little fire."

I'm still fuzzy on the details, but it involved something about ionized alcohol (is that a thing?) and alcohol-soaked rags, and things igniting very quickly. Ask to see the melted spot in the carpet the next time you stop by.

I would just like to state for the record that I did not flip out at any time during this conversation.

I know!

Because I was too busy laughing.

I don't know what my favourite part was...
  • The aforementioned perfectly timed entrance
  • The fact that he admitted to lighting the Bath and Body Works candle in an attempt to cover up the smell of smoke
  • The fact that I eventually noticed he was only wearing one sock (because the other one was ruined when he was stamping out the fire)
  • Or his response the next morning when I said, "Remember last night when you almost burned the house down? Were you scared?" 
DH: "Just scared you'd find out."

No comments:

Post a Comment