Monday 14 November 2011

Cooking with Mrs. C

Lesson one:

Keep your yap shut.

I actually learned this one from my mom at Thanksgiving. Unfortunately I read the email AFTER the meal...

She said 'no matter how dry the turkey is, don't say anything about it, because if you go on and on apologizing about it, then you become a martyr, and everyone feels that they have to spend the whole meal telling you that the turkey isn't dry (when it is).'

So yesterday, I modified this instruction slightly...

For whatever reason, I still feel compelled to try to make a good ol' fashioned Sunday dinner. Last night's entry was beef stroganoff. I was nearing the finish line, and the sauce was looking a little thin, so I thought 'I'll just add a bit of flour.' Which in itself is a good instinct.  However, when I sprinkled the heaping tablespoon in there, I thought the texture of it seemed weird.

That's because it wasn't flour, it was icing sugar.

Part of me wanted to throw the whole thing out and order a pizza...

But I didn't.

I added some flour, some salt, some pepper, kept my yap shut and served the dinner.

I swear I could taste a hint of sweetness to it, but no one else noticed, and two of them had seconds. Maybe I should screw up the recipe more often?

No comments:

Post a Comment