Monday 30 January 2012

It's a Pavlovian reflex

We were channel surfing Sunday afternoon and happened to find Rocky.

(Which is funny because the night before we were looking for the movie The Mask on Netflix, and joked about making sure that we didn't accidentally watch Mask, because the evening would take a very different turn.)

(I just realized that was a pretty big jump between those two thoughts, but I trust you're all with me. If not, ask me to re-enact the final scenes from Mask for you sometime. I'm guaranteed to burst into tears, or your money back!)

Anyhow, we started watching, and Rocky was punching slabs of meat, and Adrian was suddenly wearing eyeliner, and all of a sudden I heard those trumpets start, and Rocky started running through the streets of Philadelphia, and I'll be damned if I didn't get goosebumps! Even after all these years, it is a basic human instinct to get teary/inspired by seeing that big palooka run up those steps!

The most shocking part, though, is that shortly after that scene, Sam leaned over and whispered:

"I've never actually seen this movie."

How is that even possible?
How can a dude with a vowel at the end of his name NOT have seen Rocky? 

That's like my friend T, who is Austrian and he's never seen The Sound Of Music!

It just doesn't make any sense. 

OR perhaps I just assume that everyone was also raised on--and bases all of his or her life experiences in--a pop culture framework.

No. 
No, it's definitely them that are weird.

3 comments:

  1. Um, I just happen to take pride in not submitting to cultural stereotypes. Also too much Alp twirling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NEVER too much Alp twirling, my friend. Next you're going to tell me that your family doesn't have fancy balls and dance the Lindler every weekend.
    And yeah, I just said FANCY BALLS. Run with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well unless your my brother, then you can only have a fancy BALL. Take that M!

    ReplyDelete