Monday 8 August 2011

Dammit...

The rear right tire on the van had been looking pretty low, so I stopped by the gas station on Friday and pulled up to the air pump.

I put in the loonie, attached the hose, couldn't believe it was only registering 10 psi (it should be 36), and patiently waited for the tire to inflate.

But it didn't.

I thought this was odd--frustrating even--but I went on with the day and mentioned it to DH that night. On Saturday we had to run some errands, so our first stop was the gas station again.

DH paid another loonie, and we crouched down beside the tire.

DH: Okay, so you put the hose on...

ME: Yes! I did that!

DH: Make sure it's all the way on...

ME: Yes! Look, it's all the way on!

DH: Ok. And now you squeeze this handle...

(pause)

It did occur to me that I could continue on my previous tack, working with the 'something is fundamentally wrong with the tire, or the hose, or something, but clearly not with me.' But I opted for the truth instead.

ME: I didn't know I was supposed to do that.

DH proceeded to inflate the tire to its factory-specified level, and all was right with the world.

To DH's credit, he did not laugh. He did not mock me. He did not make me feel stupid.

But as we both climbed back into the van, he silently pointed to the machine--to the instructions posted there. The ILLUSTRATED instructions. So, even if I didn't speak English, I should've been able to do this one...

FUN FACT! The whole time I was sticking the damn hose on there the first time, I was probably letting more air out of the tire.

You win again, Shell at the corner of Commissioners and Wellington! But I'll be back...


No comments:

Post a Comment