Wednesday 27 June 2012

I will never want that wagon wheel coffee table

I don't usually get serious with this blog, but I just wanted to take a moment to note the passing of Nora Ephron.

Before there was Tina Fey in my life, there was Nora Ephron.

I don't think a week goes by in which I don't in some way refer to When Harry Met Sally... (You'd be amazed at how often there is too much pepper on my paprikash, or how regularly I would be pleased to partake of some pecan piiiieeeee.)

And, although it wasn't my favourite, the scene in Sleepless in Seattle, where they make fun of women trying to explain a scene in a movie without bursting into tears? Well...this past weekend I was in another room and I just heard the ending of Toy Story 3, and I welled up. (And, just for fun, try getting my friend A to describe the episode of MASH where Henry Blake dies! Niagara falls.....)

In the lead-up to my 40th birthday, all I could hear was Meg Ryan wailing, "And I'm going to be FORTY!"

I just think Ms. Ephron had a wonderful ear for dialogue, she wrote great, fun characters for women, and she was genuinely funny.

PLUS she had an awesome first name, even if she did spell it wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment